Mindset is a simple concept discovered by world-renowned psychologist, Carol Dweck, following decades of research on achievement and success.
Mindset can be defined as a collection of thoughts and beliefs. These thoughts and habits can affect how you think and feel and the actions you take. How you make sense of the world is impacted by the kind of mindset that you have.
There are two types of mindset; fixed and growth mindset.
What is a fixed mindset?
Those with a fixed mindset believe their basic qualities, such as intelligence or talent are fixed traits. They like to spend their time documenting their intelligence or talent instead of developing what they have.
They believe that talent alone creates success, although without any effort, their goals end up being about looking smart all the time so that they don’t appear incompetent.
What is a growth mindset?
Those with a growth mindset believe that their basic abilities and talents can be developed i.e they are not fixed. That through dedication and hard work, and not just the use of their brains and talent, they can succeed where others would fail.
As someone with a growth mindset I love learning and developing my full potential. A growth mindset brings with it resilience that is essential for great accomplishment.
Which mindset do you have?
Answer the questions below about intelligence, reading each statement and decide whether you mostly agree or disagree with it.
1. Your intelligence is something very basic about you that you can’t change very much
2. You can learn new things, but you can’t really change how intelligent you are
3. No matter how much intelligence you have, you can always change it quite a bit
4. You can always substantially change how intelligent you are
Questions 1 and 2 are fixed mindset questions. Questions 3 and 4 are growth mindset questions. Which mindset did you agree with more? You can be a mixture of both, although most people lean toward one or the other.
Mindset isn’t just about your abilities though. It also includes your personal qualities. Have a look at the statements below about personality and character and decide what you most agree or disagree with.
1. You are a certain kind of person and there is not much that can be done to really change that
2. No matter what kind of person you are, you can always change substantially
3. You can do things differently, but the important parts of who you are can’t really be changed
4. You can always change basic things about the kind of person you are
Questions 1 and 3 are fixed mindset questions. Questions 2 and 4 are growth mindset questions.
Which did you agree with more?
In next week’s blog you’ll learn about the benefits of a growth mindset and the steps you can take to get there.
Suzie Flynn | Mindset & Energy coach | www.suzieflynn.com
Change your mindset change your life!